Faith or Feelings
“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?” Psalm 22: 1
Our PRESENT DESPAIR wages war against ETERNAL TRUTH.
We may FEEL forsaken, but the TRUTH is that we are NEVER ALONE. We must never allow our EMOTIONS or FEELINGS to reign supreme over our lives.
- We must not wait until we FEEL like it to pray.
- We must not wait until our EMOTIONS are high to worship.
- We must not wait until we get goosebumps before we pray in the spirit.
Don’t be led by your EMOTIONS, but be led by the SPIRIT! (Galatians 5) There will be moments where our PRESENT DESPAIR wages war against ETERNAL TRUTH. In those moments, we must learn to put our faith in what GOD SAYS opposed to what WE FEEL.
- I may FEEL abandoned, but the TRUTH is I am never alone.
- I may not FEEL like praying, but the TRUTH is, I can’t make it without a relationship with Jesus.
- I may not FEEL like obeying the voice of the Spirit, but the TRUTH is disobedience could mean that a soul is lost to hell that heaven is trying to win for Heaven.
I may FEEL... but the TRUTH is... when your PRESENT DESPAIR wages war against ETERNAL TRUTH, cling to the word of God!
You may be on the CROSS but God is on the THRONE!
Jesus, while on the cross, is in agony. All the strength he has he uses to utter the first words on psalm 22, a psalm that we classify as a Messianic psalm. David prophetically penned the words of Jesus that Jesus would reference while hanging on the cross.
The words of the psalm go back and forth between a SOB and a SONG. The words declare the authors FEELINGS in the moment but they are followed up by a declaration of FAITH.
In the midst of our SOBS don’t forget to your SONG.
Don’t forget about Gods FAITHFULNESS in the midst of your FEELINGS. Jesus illustrates to us while on the cross how to not allow your SOB to muffle our your SONG.
You may be on the CROSS but God is on the THRONE!!!
- Jordan Blann // Youth Pastor